Monday, April 5, 2010

Grandma's China


My sweet Grandma Edith loved new dishes so I guess I come by it naturally. I would change my dishes out every 6 months if it weren't so expensive or wasteful. My mom says that quite often Grandma would go to the department store, find a set of china she really liked, go home and tell Grandpa, take him back to the store, and let him pay for the whole set. As my mom was telling our family this story yesterday at Easter Dinner, I couldn't resist chiming in to my husband that they were married for 56 years, so it must have been one of the secrets to their success!


Well, whether or not the shopping pattern had anything to do with their marital longevity, I love having some of Grandma's dishes in my home. I'm not really sure why we don't use them more often. I pulled them out of the hutch yesterday on a whim and there was just something wonderful about having our ham and dinner rolls on those sweet plates with the hand painted roses and silver trim. Everything seemed to taste better on the "nice dishes" and meal time was really enjoyable. Some people might say it isn't wise to let kids use such tableware, but why not? When will they ever learn to appreciate nice things if they aren't taught to? After all, the dishes are just things... things that will chip, break or become mismatched over time. Aren't they meant to be used, to be loved, and be a part of our special days and memories? I think they are.


Do you have special dishes or other family heirlooms that you forget to use and make a part of your family's memories? I know that once I started looking in my cupboards, I found a lot of things I don't use or appreciate anymore. Will you make an effort to incorporate them into your home and share with your children or grandchildren? Isn't that part of being a family? Sharing the stories of where things came from, the people that treasured them before us and passing on the legacy is so important for the younger generations to hear about.


What other legacy can you pass onto your children, grandchildren, nieces and nephews or other children that are special to you? Do they know YOUR story? Maybe you could share some trials and victories, funny stories, and blessings from your life with them. How about your journey of Faith? Do they know about your relationship with Jesus? What do you wish they knew about your faith? It's time to start sharing and passing on these special legacies with those we love... while we can.
May your day be filled with Sparkle, from the inside out!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Chime in...