Tuesday, April 6, 2010

"Those Were the Days"

I received my Netflix DVD in the mail with a treasure inside. The Season I disc of the "Scarecrow and Mrs. King" TV series from the 80's. It had been two decades since Lee Stetson and Amanda King had graced my screen and I was so excited! When I popped it into the DVD player and the theme song began, I still knew every beat and scene from the intro. Ahhhh... nothing like a jog down memory lane.

Over the years I have picked up sets of shows from my childhood ranging from "The Carol Burnett Show" to "Magnum, P.I." and relished in re-living them all over again. The cleaner jokes and language, fewer innuendos ( if any ), more modest clothes, and more interesting story lines are much more entertaining than the stuff that is broadcast during prime time today. In fact, I have a hard time even naming a handful of current sitcoms or dramas that are worth our time. "Reality TV" has overcome our society with it's sensationalized overtones and fake drama and we lose sight of what is really fun to watch.

What shows were your favorites? Did you like "The Brady Bunch" or "M*A*S*H"? Do you remember maybe even learning a lesson from the shows you enjoyed so much?
If you haven't watched an older program in awhile, I recommend that you pick up a DVD of an oldie but goodie or tune in on the web on sites like www.hulu.com or the like. Sit down, take a load of stress off by laughing outloud again with the characters of days past. It is really good for the soul and would be great to share with someone from today's generation. I know that my teenagers love my set of "Welcome Back Kotter" and will watch them fairly regularly. Now tell me that isn't something that brings a smile to my face ( and theirs)!
May your day be filled with Sparkle, from the inside out!

1 comment:

  1. I miss the West Wing, I learned more about the government from that show, than from any civic class I might have had... Didn't matter what the politics were being displayed the writing is pure beauty... I was captivated by the words and the characters... I also loved the Carol Burnett show... histerically funny...

    ReplyDelete

Chime in...